Tuesday 22 November 2016

First Images for the DigiPak


First ideas and images for the DigiPak

So, why hands?

In keeping with the overall mood of my final product, I decided to set up a photoshoot so that I may take photos of of my parents' hands and edit them using Photoshop.

I personally believe that the hands are the most intimate part of the human body, thus, it would only be natural to photograph them and use them as an exploratory idea for my DigiPak due to the nature of my music video and what it entails. Since these are the hands of my parents, I felt as if I should incorporate them into the DigiPak one way or another in an effort to complete a well-rounded moving image piece and it's additional marketing products - however, this isn't obviously the final decision I will make, I will explore alternative methods and/or images to include on the DigiPak.

Symbolically, hands are part of the human body that instigate the most interaction, they can be the forefront of expression, communication and intimacy. To further reinforce the intimate and romantic, yet brooding (only through the song does this element emerge) mood of my final product, to include the hands on the front and back cover of the DigiPak, seemed relevant and appropriate and ties the product together.

The rings are edited through the Selective Tool on Photoshop and edited through the process of using Levels. Considering the final product is being made with the intention to be a homage to a married couple, the rings are included and highlighted in the images to further reinforce the bond that the two protagonists share.


Editing Process and Image Specifications

F Number: f/5
Exposure: 1/50
Focal Length: 34
Dimensions: 6016 X 4000
TAKEN WITH A NIKON D3200

Editing the images was relatively simple and I already had an idea of what I wanted, as I was already influenced by the overarching mood of my moving image product. 

Opening the images into Photoshop, the first step that I took was Auto Colour, Auto Tone and Auto Enhance - these processes were used to bring the image up to its maximum potential, giving me a clear idea of what I would be working with as I further edit the images. Moving on, I then applied a monochromatic filter over the images, however, the filter was too flat and didn't bring out any of the details of the hands and the shadows weren't intense enough - the image lacked depth. In order to combat this, I opened up the 'Levels' tool and played around with the levels of colour of the images until I found the right balance that I wanted - strong enough to add depth to the image, but weak enough so that the image wouldn't be distorted and lost in the dark areas of the photo.

Once I had completed this step, I then used the sharpening tool to further enhance the details of the hand - this was to be symbolic of the intricacy of the relationship, and the harsher lines shows how "feelings run deep" between the pair. Everything that I did with these images were done with intention, as I felt that this would translate to the audiences receiving and engaging with the product. 

To add more depth to the image, I then chose the selective wand tool to isolate the background and diminish the rather "offensive" fluorescent lighting. After I completed the selection, I then went into Levels (again...!) to alter the highlights and shadows of the image - I completely eradicated all highlights and intensified the shadows so dramatically that in effect, it created a completely black background, ergo... mission accomplished! I achieved what I wanted to and it worked to great effect and fitted well with my original intention. 
Original image

Finally, to complete the editing process, I used the selective wand tool again and highlighted the rings on the fingers of my parents. With these areas selected, I then opened the Levels tool again and elevated the highlighted areas of the rings so that it would become more intense and become symbolic and reflect the intense love and affection felt by both parents. 


No comments:

Post a Comment