Wednesday 18 January 2017

First Edits for the DigiPak

First Edits for the DigiPak

Edited using Photoshop
As I have completed my filming process, I have now started to consider a variety of options for my DigiPak and Magazine images.

In keeping with my intended idea of basing the designs on the original DigiPaks and Magazine adverts, I decided to go with a clean and sharp aesthetic, focusing on keeping a black and white image on the front and back of the DigiPak, and bringing colour through to the inside covers. This conforms with the overall aesthetic of my actual music video, as although the video is edited to suit more of a grungy and withered look (with the help from a Lumar Keyer filter), there are moments of crisp colour; especially when I capture the plants and leaves. There is a general motif of nature within the music video, as I capture a variety of shots evidencing my flair with depth of field - thus, I decided to explore the possibility of enhancing the colour of the separate photographs that I took during the filming process, showing the different plants and branches. To ensure that there is a continued relationship between my video and ancillary products, I believe that this will be a great option for me to pursue.

Original
As you can see, the top photo shows the edited photograph of the branch that features within my music video. To start the editing process, I opened the image in Photoshop, applied the Auto Correct,  Colour and Tone feature to it, and then went in with a tool called Curves. Using Curves allowed me to visually see the shadows and highlights that I was changing - as I was changing it, so that if something didn't look visually pleasing, I could change it immediately. I wanted to make sure that the colours were vibrant and obvious in the image, so I then went into the Channel Mixers and toyed around with the R/G/B channels to enhance the blues and the greens. The aim was to make the image stand out, but not to the extent that the colours all merged together, creating a messy aesthetic and not conforming to the sleekness that I want for my DigiPak images.

Edited using Photoshop
These edited photos proved successful, albeit these might not necessarily be the final images, they certainly pave the way for the direction that I am intending to head in ensuring a strong relationship between all of my products.

Again, I have included another example of what I am trying to achieve in my final product design. However, it is important to note that I am not just using this specific branch/plant for the exploration (these are used to show my first exploration), I will be using alternative images that I took whilst I was filming - this is in order to see which looks best and what aesthetic has the most effect. During this editing process, I went in using the exact same process with the auto correction, moving onto Curves and finally playing around with Channel Mixers. In order to see how each photo matched up in terms of the darks, the whites and the black colouring, I opened the Digital Colour Metre on my laptop to see if there was consistency throughout my editing. 

Original
It was great to see that there was consistency , as I feel as if there was an obvious deviation or difference, the images wouldn't have looked succinct and in keeping with what I am trying to achieve. Overall, I am trying to capture the vibrant colours as well as focusing on darker hues that would automatically enhance these colours. Bringing colour into the inside covers of the DigiPak is done with the intention to break up the potential monochromatic and dull feel to the ancillary product - this is something that I am not aiming towards! It is solely by using monochromatic images on the outside covers that I truly tie together the aesthetic of the band, the ancillary products as well as my music video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment