Thursday 5 January 2017

DigiPak Intentions for Cigarettes After Sex


Intentions for Cigarettes After Sex DigiPak

The intention for my own DigiPak for Cigarettes After Sex is that of combining inspiration from my research into alternative DigiPaks within the same genre, and my own photography. I was particularly inspired by Daughter's scratch, etching and distressed look as well as My Bloody Valentine's overlay technique. Combining the elements of these two in particular, I have conjured up an idea of what I want my final product to look like. 

When considering the mood and overall aesthetic that I am aiming for in my final product, I turned to the actual album art for my chosen band, and have made the decision to experiment with monochromatic images as well as the overlaying technique. The aim is to mirror exactly what I have produced in my music video, in terms of capturing and maintaining the grittiness of the footage and translate it into print form. All of the covers for the three albums that my band has released, have a solitary item or figure within the frame that has been edited to suit the genre of the band.

The overall aesthetic of my DigiPak will reflect my own interpretation of the song, with influences from prior album covers as well as inspiration from the external research I have conducted. Based off their prior album covers, I am going to ensure that I create a distressed and grungy look and incorporate elements of film grain or a burnt out film tape/photograph (used as an overlay) to mirror my interpretation of reminiscing and nostalgia of distant memories. This way, I know I am maintaining that link and I have evidenced a level of continuity between the music video, my interpretation, the band and the genre.

Overall, I want to maintain a sleekness to the DigiPak, but also maintain the relationship between each ancillary product. I am particularly interested in the idea of using scratched paint and/or scratched photographs as an overlay; as well as the wedding rings and hands (see previous post) to use as the focal point on the album cover.

Compared to the other influences, I will be ensuring that the name of the band is at the forefront of the DigiPak, as I believe that although they're an up and coming band, I would want to maintain that level of interaction with audiences, and I would do this by ensuring that the name is at the forefront of the DigiPak and in an appropriate font and size. To maintain the links with the music video, I will consider using a transparent overlay of flames on the album cover as well, as this holds symbolic value within my video and reiterates that relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment