Wednesday 4 January 2017

Applying the concept of Genre (AS Coursework)


Apply the concept of Genre to your AS coursework.

For my AS coursework, I produced and created a three minute moving image sequence that was to be representative of a segment from a potential film. Genre may be defined through a set of distinguishing features that pertain to certain content; this can be identified through varying codes and conventions (either syntactic or semantic) of that particular genre. My moving image sequence remained well within the realms of the horror and supernatural genres; thus enabling the entitlement of a hybrid genre. Rick Altman deduces that genres are more often than not defined through media language that is relevant to particular ideologies and narratives. My three-minute sequence conformed to the horror genre through various semantic elements such as close-up camera angles of blood and gore, low-key lighting edited with an overlay of quick-cut camera shots and editing. Syntactically, my moving image conformed to a narrative that followed suit to that of the conventional and well-known, “The Chase” narrative; in which there is an element of pursuit between two characters, in my case, this applied to a “predator versus prey” scenario. This syntactic element reiterated the hybridity of my moving image, as through incorporating variants exclusive to the supernatural genre, for example, a close-up camera shot of one of my protagonists lunging at the neck of the secondary character. Aside from this, another convention of a supernatural genre that I included within my film opening was that of enigma codes, more specifically, a range of close-up camera angles that focused on an unidentified object that aided the narrative. Because of the hybridity of my moving image, this allowed for audiences to utilise one of the fundamentals of the Use’s and Gratifications theory: Escapism. Escapism acts as an emotional response towards genre from the audience, and with the merging of two genres, my moving image successfully allowed for escapism to be achieved as it allowed audiences to escape from the “mundane” as my moving image focused on the supernatural, entities of which don’t exist in reality. This particular element of the theory (Escapism) however, may typically be applied to fictional texts, as Aristotle noted that emotional responses differ depending on the type of genre that an audience wishes to engage with, in turn, these emotional responses are absent with theoretical commentaries/documentaries as the text doesn’t allow for audiences to escape reality. Following on from my moving image, I also created a blog and social media accounts that detailed every step of the editing and production process, whilst also engaging with the audience. 

Tom Ryall (1978) suggests that genre provides a ‘framework of structuring rules’ that in turn ‘acts as a form of supervision over the work and production and filmmakers and the work of reading by the audience’. Like my moving image, my blog also conformed to this ‘framework’ that was built up by the horror genre, this was done through a muted colour scheme, interactive gore and creative outlets (recipes for making your own blood) that largely appeased to the horror community and fan base. My blog also acted as a tool for a more inclusive community, by utilising social media platforms and creating accounts on Twitter and Instagram, wider members of the horror and supernatural genre community can indulge into other pleasures by sharing the experience of the media text; much to reiterate Daniel Chandler’s Theory. Sharing the codes and conventions of both the horror and supernatural genre gave me scope for subverting the conventional portrayal of cinema, which incorporates elements of repetition. Neale (1980) suggested that the ‘pleasure of cinema lies in the process of difference in repetition’, this being applied to my own moving image, I can confidently say subverted his theory as I utilised codes and conventions of two widely different genres, thus straying away from conventional repetition throughout the media text.

No comments:

Post a Comment