Saturday 18 February 2017

Magazine Advert: Continued Exploration and Development 2

Continued Exploration and Development

Now that I have completed the alternative features for the magazine advert (inclusive of the QR Code and logos detailing where audiences can purchase the album), I have now moved onto one of the final steps of the design: music reviews. Scouring the Internet for reviews on the band was particularly challenging as Cigarettes After Sex aren't really a "well-known" band and are only just starting to branch out into the music industry.

I found reviews from Rolling Stone, Brighton's Finest, "Noisey" and Independent Music News (IMN). All of the reviews that I have compiled together reflect the success of the band and highlights the further success that they will encounter as they branch out further into the music industry.

On magazine adverts, especially for music and film releases, the reviews that are included on the advert are nearly always positive and reflect the opinions of renowned establishments such as NME and Empire. Renowned and well-known establishments such as the aforementioned persuade audiences to watch films, listen to music and engage with the product that is being advertised. Audiences know that reviews from well-known companies are going to be reliable which in turn, makes mass audiences more likely to engage with the text.


The reviews that I have included are snippets from longer reviews and I chose them because I felt like they would urge audiences to listen to their music. As I started to experiment with the text, I originally had it in the font 'Helvetica', but after gathering opinions from peers and friends, I decided to maintain the original font used by the band and throughout my ancillary products. The 'Helvetica' font was "too soft" and detracted from the 'edginess' that I want translated to audiences. Placement of the reviews is important as I don't want them to be too big as to distract from what I am actually advertising, so I kept them small and isolated in the black background to the left of the image of the hands. I have also decided to keep the colour scheme monochromatic, so the font is all in white and contrasts nicely with the dark background and image. I considered having the font in the baby blue colour that I experimented with on the other ancillary product, but I felt like it would look disjointed and completely random - this is because I am no longer using the baby blue font on the DigiPak design, ergo, the relationship between all of my products wouldn't be strong.


I am pleased with the placement of the reviews and I feel like they add cohesion to the advert without distracting from my intention. As I continue with my exploration, I am going to consider italicising the font and continue to document the different placements of the reviews - as this was a first attempt and believe that there is still room to make changes. 

As a side note, I have noticed that the bottom end of the advert looks a little cramped with the QR code and the record label feature - thus, I am going to go back into Illustrator and play around with the placement of those features so that it looks professional and effective. I have also noticed that I could potentially move the hand image up slightly, as to offer more space for the features and links at the bottom of the advert. However, this means that the image won't be central and it may look off-set - but I am eager to experiment with this. 


Reviews:

https://independentmusicnews.com/review-cigarettes-after-sex-affection/

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/10-new-artists-you-need-to-know-january-2016-20160125/cigarettes-after-sex-20160124

https://noisey.vice.com/en_dk/article/the-diehard-romanticism-of-cigarettes-after-sex

http://www.petrieinventory.com/cigarettes-after-sex-review/

https://brightonsfinest.com/html/index.php/9-articles/1973-cigarettes-after-sex-interview-2016

(Credits to all of the above).


No comments:

Post a Comment